Friday, April 22, 2011

{How to strip the crap out of your Cabinets}

Every once in a while, (every other project to be exact) I do something I really really really regret. This time it was painting my kitchen cabinets red. It was such a nice idea in my brain, but upon execution it blew up in my face! Anyway, it's good, because I'm ending up with an even better kitchen! So, here's what you do if you find yourself with a large amount of kitchen cabinets that need to be stripped and repainted!

You're going to need a hefty list of supplies
*Some kind of Stripper (I used citrus strip)*Paint Brush
*Something to scrap with (I used a putty knife, exacto knife, and butter knife)
*Sandpaper
*Electric Sander and Paper
*Paint
*Foam roller
*Paint tray
*Beadboard wallpaper (optional)
*Scissors or a rotary board and cutter
*Knobs (optional)

First you start with some awful cabinets that need to be stripped.Using the stripper and a paint brush spread the stripper all over the cabinet door.
After about 30 minutes it should look like this: Nice and bubbly! Then spend several hours of your life you might or might not wish you could get back scraping the heck out of every nook and cranny of this thing!Then when it's fairly paint free, use your electric sander to take off the remnants of paint, stripper, and the finish of the wood. I had to use an exacto knife to get some of the corners, then I wrapped a piece of sandpaper around a chop stick to rub along all my routed edges. Getting it as clean as I could!
Cut a strip of wallpaper (I've seen people use actual beadboard, but I didn't want to use a saw that much, plus way way cheaper to use wallpaper) using scissors or a rotary cutter that will fit on the inside of the routed edges of the cabinet. Apply wallpaper by getting the entire back wet and laying flat, smooth out all the bubbles and let dry!Paint all the flat parts of the cabinets with a foam roller and the routed parts with a paint brush, I did 4 coats of Semi Gloss Behr paint in Ivory Mist.
Rescrew the cabinets (Don't forget to paint the base part of the cabinets with a foam roller too!) Aren't they gorgous!? I love them almost as much as my first born!


Linked up to

3 comments:

Nik said...

i am loving your kitchen! i had no idea there was wall paper bead board! what a grand idea! i keep telling my hub i want a white cabinet kitchen. he can't see it. i'll have to show him what amazing job you've done! i may or may not be drooling!

Katie said...

Those turned out great! What a good idea to use wallpaper for the beadboard look! They look like the real deal! I love your stencil backsplash too.. that green is great!

Wonky Girl said...

Oh wow, love how it turned out! I too want a white cabinet kitchen and would be thrilled for it to look like yours. Great idea to use paper bead-board to keep cost down.