Wednesday, June 3, 2009

UP

Okay, story for you: once upon a time, Brock and I decided at 7:30 last Saturday to go see a movie. Next showing at the local (and within walking distance: YAY!!) theater for UP was 9:00pm. I think “SWEET! No little kids, because, really? who keeps a kid up until 10:30?” we walk over about 830, get there about 837 and buy our tickets, theater looks pretty empty for a Saturday which thrills me to no end! we decide, against better judgment to score some popcorn, because what's a movie without the popcorn? 6 bucks later, we can't figure out what theater it's in because no one was at the booth to rip out tickets. After walking around for a while, dude shows up, so walk back to give him out tickets and he tells us it's the "theater right over there" and point at all 6 rooms. Gee, thanks you dorky looking kid.
So, we find it, were we originally thought it was and we walk in. There are people hovering outside the door, but I’m not one to wait just because everyone else is (many a time people wait by the elevators for like 10 minutes before realizing no one pushed the button, awesome) so we go in.
Rude janitorial theater guy: "Can you guys PLEASE wait outside" he was so rude. Then he comes out and starts to put up those little barrier things with the ropes and people star making a line. All 10 of us. Like it's the freaking midnight showing HP and the 1/2 blood prince (which I’ll be at :)). There’s one couple in front of us, but this lady is having none of that and cant get behind us, oh no! she's gotta be first, so she just cuts. But seriously, whatever, like I said 10 people. Then we wait for like 10 minutes while they clean at 859, I was starting to get a little irritated. I know I need to work on my patience, but seriously, I just paid over 20 bucks for tickets and popcorn, they least they can do is get my movie going on time.
Finally, we are let in. Find perfect seats; fall in love with the theater because the seats are at a PERFECT angle so I can see no matter who sits in front of me, or how low I slouch. I love it. Then...
Then this woman walks in with her baby. (I saw her in line, but was convinced she wouldn't actually bring a baby in the theater) I looked at Brock and said if that baby cries ONCE we are going to the manager and getting our money back. I can't believe there is no policy against that! The baby was okay for about 20 minutes, then it started to cry, I could feel myself getting more and more irritated, but then the baby stopped and was done for the remainder of the movie, he must have fallen asleep.

Now don't get me wrong, I love me some babies. With their fat arms and little shoes. Adorable. BUT, in a movie theater? serious? And for all of those out there who read this and think, oh i bring my baby in the theater, don't tell me how mean i am. Seriously, it's expensive, i get to go rarely, and I think it's as rude (or way more) than me blogging about it.

He was a really cute baby if it's any consolation.

Okay, NEXT the actual movie. I'd give it a 4.9 out of 5. SO GOOD. It started, I laughed, 10 minutes in, I cried, another 10 minutes, I sobbed, another 10? still crying. another 10. LAUGHED AND LAUGHED until about 2o minutes before it ended then I cried again. And laughed the rest of the way. Notes, it was great, probably my new fav Pixar, but it deserved its PG rating. It was so sad, and it had some death, but it wasn't as PG as The Incredible, which has dead people all over the place.

Moral? Go see UP. Just not with your 8-10 month old baby. Please.

3 comments:

Alyssa Phair said...

I'm torn as to whether I agree with you on the baby thing... New moms hardly ever get out of the house so if the only way they can get out is by taking their child I say go for it. HOWEVER, they have to be courteous. I don't want to hear a baby crying anymore than you. They should sit near the door so any peep and they leave quickly. You can certainly still be annoyed, just maybe a LITTLE less annoyed if you think of why she might have brought her child. I will go see it for sure now! You are the 3rd or 4th person I've heard raving! Thanks for the recommendation!
-Alyssa

Ashley Poulsen said...

Okay, I just want to say it was a 9 o'clock showing. It's be one thing to bring a baby to a noon showing or something, where there's already a ton of kids. And also, I don't believe there's no way they cant find one person to babysit for free. I babysit for free for my friends. (yes, i'm that nice ;))

Talina said...

Maybe they just don't have as nice of friends as you?

I don't really get annoyed by babies or kids in movies. Maybe it's growing up with younger siblings or something but I can totally tune out crying, yelling, laughing, talking, whatever as long as it comes out of someone under the age of 5. The reason I can no longer pay full price for a movie (not that I ever found it easy. I am as cheap as they come)? Inconsiderate Adults. I cannot remember the last time I went to a movie (dollar theatre or full price) where not only did a cell phone RING during the movie but either 1) someone near me texted repeatedly during the movie (and for some reason cell phone backlights are absolutely BLINDING when you are sitting in a dark theatre. Seriously, I don't know why it's so bad) or 2) someone actually ANSWERED THEIR PHONE and proceeded to talk on it!!! During a movie!!!
So movie-goers of the world, bring your young ones all you want. I consider it a hazard of attending a children's movie that there will be crying at some point in the movie, regardless of time of day. But answer your cell phone during the most pivotal scene of my show and I WILL throw my shoe at the back of your head.
I'm done ranting. Glad you liked the movie! I'm looking forward to seeing it as well. . . though probably once it's at redbox and I can watch it in comfort, on my couch, with cheap microwave popcorn ;)