Sunday, December 5, 2010

{Day 5: Ho Ho Holder}

Being out of town is the worst when you're trying to craft and remodel the holiday's away. But
I'm still trying to keep your 25 days of Christmas going strong with ideas to cheer up your holidays.

Next up we have our Ho Ho Holder. Which I will, when I get home, use for my Poinsettia flowers.

Ingredient: Terracotta pot

Bottle of Snow-tex

Bottle of red paint

Spool of ribbon (mine is 2 inch)

Glitter paper/buckle of choice

Glue

Paint brush

Newspaper or bags

First thing you want to do is lay down some newspaper or a plastic sack. This can get messy.
Paint your Terracotta pot from the lip down red. Make sure you're painting just a touch on the lip, so no terracotta shows when you put the snow on.

Let dry.

Using a blotting technique instead of a brushing technique, blot the lip, a little over the edge and a little under the lip under the entire lip is a winter wonderland. I also took a little glitter my mom had lying around and sprinkles it on there, just for fun. You don't have to do this, it barely shows.
While drying create a buckle if you can't find one, which was actually a big problem for me, I've been looking for weeks. I took a glitter piece of paper, cut it about 2 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches Then I cut the square out, leaving a bar in the middle. Like so: After this is dry (it took a couple hours) cut a piece of ribbon a little longer then around the top of the pot. The next part is a little tricky to get just right, but basically because of the curve of the pot, a piece of ribbon cannot wrap around the pot without leaving gaps and spaces. My Solution, don't fight it! Glue one end of the ribbon down right beneath the snow, as you pull it towards the front (don't forget to slide on your buckle) let it go lower and then swoop back up to meet the beginning. Glue the buckle in the center, and glue the other end back down. Let dry. Last thing you're going to do is hide that unsightly back by making a beautiful bow to glue on. Let dry, and trim to your liking.


See? Easy Peasy! And if you are smart, unlike me, and take 40% off coupons to get your supplies, this will be about 2 dollars each. Not to shabby for a cute table topper, or a wonderful last minute gift!




2 comments:

Nik said...

this is so cute! This is going in my favorite's category!

Ashley Poulsen said...

Thaks Nik! We loved the turn out!