Friday, February 20, 2009

Chair Magic!

I've had a lot of people ask me about the chair I posted here. People always talk about how hard it is to reupholster something, but I didn’t think it was that hard. Time consuming, yes! Hard, no. I didn’t take step by step pictures because I figured even if I put a tutorial up, it wouldn’t much help anyone else because this chair was an odd shape. But I’ll kind of explain. First Brock and I spent SEVERAL hours ripping off the fabric and pulling out staples. You’ll need a pair of pliers for it, needle nose works, but we had a pair that looked like this:

And they worked a lot better.

I bought a ton of fabric (7 ½ yards to be exact) but I think if you had a difference style chair you could get off with a lot less. I measured and cut and measured and cut and laid the fabric on the chair and cut some more. There are only 4 seams, the outside of the arms to the inside of the arms, and the front of the arms to the out/inside. (Sew the out/in side parts first and then pin the front on while it’s on the chair, Very time consuming and it took 2 attempts each arm to get it perfectly snug.)

Then lay the fabric and staple, staple, staple. I used A LOT of staples. As you pull apart the original fabric, really pay attention to how the designers/machines put it together. And mimic it. I got this whole thing done in about 5 days (blasted work taking up all my time) and I’m really glad I did it day after day, I think if I’d taken a month, I’d would have forgotten how to put it back together.

The back of my chair looks awful. The arch in it made it VERY difficult to staple correctly and by the end I was so frustrated and wanting to be done, I just stapled from the outside and you can see some of them. So don’t look at the back if you ever come over and see my chair! If I could do it again I’d sew the back to the back of the arms and the front of the chair were the sitters back goes. Does the even make sense?

If anyone else tries this let me know how your chairs turn out. I think it will get really hard if you try piping and whatnot. But I don’t really know how to use piping so I skipped it. Plus, the original didn’t have it so… who cares!

Volia! It’s it beautiful?!

3 comments:

Vivian said...

I am so impressed by this, every time I look at it I wish I had your talent!

Alyssa Phair said...

Awesome job! I guess I did recover the glider rocker in Amelia's room. But I just made them as slip covers and they don't fill well. One day I will try reupholstering and I'll let you know how it goes... Actually, I may be calling you!

Kristin LaBruzza said...

Wow! You are so crafty! Where do you find the time? When I'm done with school, you'll have to show me some of your majic!