I hummed and haaed for several days before I could decide what to put in my bedroom above my dresser. I knew I wanted something branch-ish. But I just really couldn't figure out what to do. THEN it came to me. I was given a ton of scrap moulding recently. And I had a plank of flat pine (I think it was pine). and I cut it about 3 feet long. So I had three 3 feet planks. Then I hit it with the hammer. Maybe a little too much, but let's be honest, it's pretty fun to hit stuff with a hammer. After that I stained it (it was called special walnut, I borrowed it from Sheena, so it was FREE!!!) Cut out a tree I printed off the internet. (I cheated because I stink at free hand) and I placed it on my overhead projector (best 5 dollar ever spent!)
Trace away.
After tracing, I watered down the same paint I used for my walls to make it look more like water color. Painted kind of within the lines.
I cut three pieces of brown ribbon, and stapled it to the back. (that needs to be redone, obviously!) and VOLIA! You have a custom, awesome piece of art for your home!
Break down:
Pine: Free to me. Maybe 10 bucks at Home Depot new
Stain: Free to me. A few dollars at Home Depot/borrow some/use some from a previous project.
Paint: Free to me. Don't go buy a gallon of paint for it, use what you have or get a 50 cent thing from the craft store and water it down.
Ribbon: Didn't have, it was like 2.50 for a whole spool, but i used maybe a yard, so like 50 cents.
Total: .50 cents
TO recreate maybe 15 dollars? But let's be honest, 15 dollars for some art? Not to shabby!
ENJOY!!!!
Want to share your project how to? Email me at knittingninja @ live.com
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
{Tree Art}
Posted by Ashley Poulsen at 9:23 AM
Labels: Thrifty Finds, Tutorial
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Your blog is looking awesome! You should start linking it up to some other blogs - I'll bet you increase your readership. Here are a couple doing link parties right now: http://www.somewhatsimple.com/ and http://www.lilluna.com/
Post a Comment