I was on the hunt for a fantastic old trunk, army trunk, ect for several months. I finally settled on this. I sat just like that (with the DI price tag still on it) for like 3 months until I FINALLY found the perfect paper to cover it with. Thank you Target Clearance!!!
Have you used Mod Podge? It's pretty much the coolest. If you don't have a bottle, I would strongly suggest investing in a bottle!
Supplies you'll need for this project
Mod Podge
Exacto Knife
Wrapping Paper of choice
Scissors
Foam Brush
Old Trunk, Suitcase, or really whatever.My suitcase is paper, and I even scraped some of it off, but decided it didn't matter. I only took off what was loose.
First you'll want to cut a few approximate size pieces to get started. I started with the sides, because it was the smallest. So i cut/tore a piece that was REALLY roughly the size. Next thing you want to do is hold with one had, and cut around the shape with your knife. My suitcase was leather and metal edging on it, So I used my fingernail to kind of trace the shape so I could feel were it was, then i used the knife, and with the leather and or metal as a guide, I slid the knife along the sides as evenly as possible.
They're not perfect, but as is any craft. Line them up after cutting them out to make sure they are close enough to the edges and don't need to be recut.
Use the foam brush to spread a coat of Mod Podge over the area. It's sticky, so try not to get it on to many other things.
The next part is the hardest, on this project the Mod Modge was drying super fast, so the paper didn't have a ton of wiggle room. So get it as even as you can and slid it into place FAST. (If you're suing Mod Podge on tiles, or something slick, I think you have more time. But for this, if I went more then a few seconds, I would have to peel off and the paper would rip a little.) Using the side of your hand to flatten it smooth and get the air bubbles out. I left some wrinkles, I thought it gave it kind of an older look.
Repeat these steps for all sides and surfaces. And you'll LOVE the outcome.
But, be sure you have enough wrapping paper. The bottom of my second isn't actually covered because I ran out. Shhhh! But I love it all the same!!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010
{Mod Podge Suitcase}
Posted by Ashley Poulsen at 6:00 AM
Labels: Thrifty Finds, Tutorial
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm just a random person who found your blog, but I like it. I'm a mod podge and DI junky! So this blog is right up my alley! I'll check back often! I'm jealous you found that hutch thing for $20. What a steal and the after looks awesome. How clever to change out the mirror for cork and metal! Can't wait to see more projects and tutorials!
Yay for another awesome blog :) I am SO glad to see another creative fun DI lovin girl out there. This will be an exciting blog to follow!
Very cute and clever! Go Ashley!!
Post a Comment