Brock and I spend an unbelievable amount on food. At least I feel like it's unbelievable. And I want to change it. I want to go the entire month of May with only spending $125 on meals. And I need help!!!
Does anyone have recipes that they know for a fact are SUPER cheap to make? And I mean recipes. Not like, “eat a hamburger” or “ make some mac and cheese”. I love both of those, but DO NOT want to live off of them! Once a week tops! And that still leaves me with 23 meals! Okay ladies, fess up!!!
You can email me and mightymormonpowerranger@hotmail.com if you don't want to leave me a comment! Thanks!

7 comments:
Yay! Reading this post makes me excited to comment! Having two kids and not making a lot of money has forced me to find every way possible to save money. We spend $250/month on food, diapers, wipes, etc. $125 might be a little difficult but you might be able to do it (I don't know how much groceries are in Utah). I'm going to email you all of my suggestions on facebook. Yay for saving money!!
-Alyssa
Thanks Alyssa! That's really awesome of you!
Wait... I can't find you on facebook anymore :( What's your email address? The post would be far too long!
I added my email to the post. :)
Sent you an e-mail. Let me know if you don't get it. I'll send it again. Let me know what kinds of foods/recipes you like most and I am sure I have more I could get to you.
Wow, $125 is really low. Even David and I budget $180 for groceries.
My suggestion for cheap meals is 1) ONLY BUY ON SALE and 2) When something you like is on sale, BUY A LOT OF IT!
Now, #2 may actually mean that for the first couple months, you may actually spend MORE on groceries but in the long run, you'll spend much less (example: I bought 20 bags of pasta when they were on sale for 2/$1, normally $1.69. So I bought WAY more pasta than we would eat in a month but in the long run I saved over $20.
And pasta is my cheap meal suggestion. You can get a bag of pasta for under $1, a can of spaghetti sauce for $0.75-$1 and ground hamburger for less than $2/lb. All said, that is no more than $4 (and could be as low as $3) for a meal plus left overs for lunches.
My big money saver is cereal. I love cereal and eat it EVERY morning but I never pay over $1.50 a box (and I've only paid that much in the last 6 months because I was running so low and getting desperate).
Okay, this comment is very long. Good luck!
My Suggestion is this.
http://www.rachaelray.com/food/collections/budget/index.php?category=underten
It gives ideas for meals under 10 bucks that serves 4. Pretty much you'll eat the same thing twice a week. My mom used to feed a family of 5 on $20 a week...pretty much beans and cornbread...and different variaties of rice. Then we'd do like caserols and that sort of thing...always eating left overs but splitting them up so you don't have to eat them same thing night after night. Good luck! :)
Post a Comment